Our lodge is a community of individuals dedicated to promoting personal growth, self-awareness, and spiritual development. We offer a welcoming and supportive environment for individuals seeking to explore their inner selves and connect with like-minded individuals. Our lodge provides a variety of programs, meetings, and community involvement designed to enhance personal growth and spiritual development. We invite you to explore our website and learn more about the programs and services we offer.
History of Delaware Lodge No. 52
1859-1984
By CHARLES E. MORGAN, P.M., HISTORIAN
In October 1858, ten Masons desiring to establish a new lodge in Phillipsburg, N.J., received a recommendation from Warren Lodge #13, presented it with a petition for dispensation to the Grand Master, M.W. Joseph Trimble. The Grand Master issued a warrant of dispensation October 30, 1858.
The ten signatures that appeared on the original petition are the first ten members of Delaware Lodge, and are charter members. They were Bros: Edward Hunt Burd (Easton Lodge #152, Easton, Pa.) - first Master Horace Munson Norton (Warren Lodge #13, Belvidere, N.J.) - first Sr. Warden Samuel Freeman (Warren Lodge #13, Belvidere, N.J.) - first Jr. Warden Lawrence Lommason (Warren Lodge #13, Belvidere, N.J.) - first Treasurer William Alpaugh Huff (Darcey Lodge #37, Flemington, N.J.) - first Secretary James Russell Dutton (Orient Lodge #62, East Hartford, CT.) - first Sr. Deacon.
Andrew Jackson Ferrnad (Warren Lodge #13, Belvidere, N.J.) - first Jr. Deacon Henry Bowers (Warren Lodge #13, Belvidere, N.J.) - first Tyler John Finley Dumont (Darcy Lodge #37, Flemington, N.J.) William Smith (Amwell Lodge #12, Lambertville, N.J.)
These officers were installed by the M.W. Grand Master, December 1, 1858, after reading of the warrant of dispensation. After all officers were conducted to their stations and places, the Lodge was duly opened. A vote of
"Thanks" was extended to the M.W. Grand Master for granting the petition of dispensation. The Master appointed a committee to draft a code of by-laws. It was established that the Lodge should meet each week on Tuesday evenings, at 6:30 P.M.
—
December 14, 1858, the first meeting of Delaware Lodge.
December 21, 1858, Delaware Lodge established a $21.00 fee for conferring
the three degrees, and a $3.00 fee for affiliation.
December 28, 1858, The first degree (B.A.) was conferred on candidates in
Delaware Lodge by W. Bro. George Walters, Grand Lecturer.
January 4, 1859, Easton Lodge #52 by-laws were temporarily adopted by
Delaware Lodge.
January 11, 1859, Delaware Lodge reconsidered using Penna, lodge bylaws and adopted a code of by-laws form Mercer Lodge #50, Trenton, N.J.
January 12, 1859, Grand Lodge issued a warrant for the lodge to be known
as DELAWARE LODGE #52, F. & A.M.
January 18, 1859, First meeting of Delaware Lodge with the warrant.
February 25, 1859, First Master Mason degree conducted in Delaware
Lodge upon William R. Wilson and E. Clark Cline.
July 1, 1859, Officers of the Lodge duly installed under the warrant by Samuel S. Clark, R. W. Senior Grand Warden. The officers installed continued to December 1860, as there was no election in 1859.
February 7, 1860, The Lodge leased a hall and anterooms for the term of two years and five months at the rate of $60.00 per anum. It was all of the second floor of the Brill Funeral Home, 155 So. Main St.- Referred to as the 'brownstone building' - later called the Hagerty building and most recently it was Regents Paints.
December 18, 1860, The Lodge held its first election of officers under the
warrant.
August 29, 1861, The first chartered member and first officer to die was Bro. Lawrence Lommason. Graveside Masonic services were conducted the lodge room was draped in mourning.
December 27, 1861, St. John's Day. The Lodge held a public installation of officers. At the close, the officers, members and guests retired to another room and had refreshments served to them by the ladies of Phillipsburg Methodist Episcopal Church.
August 4, 1874, The Lodge gave its recommendation for establishing a new lodge, to a number of brethern from Bloomsbury. On January 21, 1875, a warrant was granted to H. B. Kennedy Lodge #140, which in 1877 became what is now Bethlehem Lodge #140.
April 30, 1878, The Lodge leased rooms in a new building at the corner of So. Main and Market Sts., Phillipsburg, N.J. (A very well writen and detailed newspaper report of the activities are copied in the Lodge History Supplement.)
It is reported there were over five hundred invited guests in attendence.
October 28, 1881, There was a resolution of respect to honor Bro. James A.
Garfield, mentioned in the minutes.
September 17, 1901, A resolution was adopted in reference to the death of
Bro. William McKinley, President of the United States.
June 5, 1906, Rev. Bro. J. F. Wagner, member of Bethlehem Lodge #140, presented and placed on our alter a new bible. This bible was restored in 1970 and is still in use today. (See the History Supplement for more details about the Bible).
—
December 8, 1908, The 50th Anniversary of Delaware Lodge was cele-brated, at an emergent communication. M. W. Grand Master W. D. Wolfskeil accompanied by other Grand officers was received. Lodge membership was 207.
February 21, 1911, The O.E.S. was authorized to use the lodge room.
September 5, 1922 First meeting held at Odd Fellow's Building pending completion of improvements in the Second National Bank Building. Lodge never returned to that building.
February 3, 1925, First meeting held in Cedar building on Hanover St.
September 18, 1928, W.M. Charles O. Butler presented plans for a building program which were well received by the members. Five dollars per capita, per year, was put into a building fund.
April 3, 1934, Worshipful Master Clarence C. Rush appointed a committee to investigate possible building sites. Robert M. VanSyckle was on the commit-tee, and was primarily responsible for the recommendation and selection of our present site for the Temple,
February 19, 1935, The Building Site Committee presented a report covering the estimated cost of a suitable site and the erection of a suitable building for a Masonic Temple.
March 19, 1935, W. M. John L. Teel instructed a building committee to prepare plans and specifications and submit same to the Grand Lodge for ap-proval. Upon approval by the Grand Lodge, the committee was empowered to proceed with the erection of a temple.
August 1, 1935, M. W. Martin J. Diets, Grand Master granted permission to proceed with the proposed new building according to the plans and specifications submitted.
November 23, 1935, M. W. Martin J. Dietz and assisted by other Grand Lodge officers laid the cornerstone of our lodge. (A copy of Cornerstone Laying Program is displayed in the History Supplement.)
March 17, 1936, First meeting of Delaware Lodge held in the new temple.
Robert M. VanSyckle was Master. The officers are listed on a plaque in the lobby of the temple. (A picture of that plaque is in the History Supplement.) Bro.
Clifford Raymond Karcher was the first candidate to be raised to Master Mason in the new temple.
April 7, 1936, was the formal opening and dedication of the new temple. M.
W. Martin J. Dietz and Grand Lodge officers were in attendance. The Worshipful Master received the keys to the temple from the chairman of the Building Committee. All present at the formal opening and dedication received a small white lambskin apron. (A sample is displayed under 1936, in the History Supple-ment.)
April 14, 1936, The Lodge was saddened by the death of Herbert W.
Palmer, President of the Trustees of the Temple Association, who was laid to rest exactly one week from the opening of the temple.
May 17, 1947, W. M. Edward H. Hub called an emergent communication for the purpose of burning the mortgage. The mortgage was burned by M. W.
Martin J. Dietz, P.G.M. (A copy of the burning of the mortgage program is displayed in the History Supplement.)
—
1958 - The grounds of the Temple were reshrubbed and an attractive sign erected along Memorial Parkway at the south-east corner of the property. This undertaking at a cost of nearly $1500., financed by donations from the brethern and friends, was made possible through the untiring efforts of Past Master H.
Monroe Hess. 100TH ANNIVERSARY - (See program displayed in History
Supplement).
1964 - April 4, By emergent communication a Master Mason degree was conferred and entertainment by the Adoniram Fellowcraft Players of Lindhurst, N.J. enacted a play entitled "To Entertain Strangers".
July &e August, Over 80 members volunteered - a lot of work was done with a lot of fun and fellowship, all through the efforts of the Master. First and only family picnic held on the temple grounds.
October 3, By special dispensation, a raising by the N.J. Scottish Masonic Club was held in Phillipsburg High School gymnasium. Approximately one thousand attended, entertainment by the Ceremonial bagpipes and drums.
1968 - A marble gravestone was erected at the rear of the property as a memorial to deceased brothers.
The most beautifying activity outside of the Temple, through the hard work and labor by the Master, was the removal of the large diseased Elm trees by R.
W. William F. Brown P.G.C.
1971 - Repeating the example of R. W. Lewis E. Rupell, extensive renovations and repairs were made (new carpet in the lodge room, tylers room, preparation room, hall and stairs; new drapes throughout except in the dining hall; and many other improvements too numerous to mention) Over $6000. contributed in money and items for the betterment of the Lodge.
1974 - June 8, First Charity Ball held; Over $1000. was raised for Delaware Lodge, in support of the Grand Lodge Charity Program. A testimonial for H. Monroe Hess was held the same night. It was the first time the Lodge showed a profit for ladies night. It was the first time the Grand Master and his lady and the Grand Chaplain and his lady were honored guests at the Lodge Ladies Night/Charity Ball;
1976 - First time the American Flag was used on the trestleboard in celebration of the U,S. BiCentennial. The Lodge built a float and participated in a parade in Belvidere N.J.
1977 - After four years of discussions, the Master was responsible for instituting an investment fund for the Lodge. A lighted Masonic sign was put on the rear of the building.
or at the Lodge.)
1979 - First public installation in many years (not held the night of election lodge.
C E L E B R A T I O N
for
Most worshipful Raymond P Bellini
Past Grand Master of the state of New Jersey
Saturday April 26th
6 : 0 0 P M - 1 0 : 0 0 P M
H U N T E R D O N HILLS PLAYHOUSE
8 8 R O U T E 1 7 3 W E S T
H A M P T O N , N J 0 8 8 2 7
We use cookies to analyze website traffic and optimize your website experience. By accepting our use of cookies, your data will be aggregated with all other user data.